Individuals wishing to pursue a career as a Legal Secretary.
Comprehensive end-user knowledge of Microsoft Word, competent keyboarding (at least 40 wpm), good letter layout and office practice skills. Familiarity with the Irish Legal system as detailed in the Pitman Training ‘Introduction to Irish Law’ module.
To give an introduction to the work, responsibilities, practice and structure of the Civil Litigation Department in a legal office.
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Civil Law, Civil Procedure Rules, Instruction Sheet for Debt Collection, Letter Before Action.
- Lesson 2: Recovery of a debt in District, Circuit and High Courts, Civil Summons to recover debt in District Court, Indorsement of Claim, Civil Bill to recover debt in Circuit Court, Summary Summons to recover debt in High Court
- Lesson 3: Issuing and serving the Civil Summons, Civil Bill and Summary Summons. Entering an Appearance, Further Particulars, Defence and Counterclaim in the District, Circuit and High Court, Notice of Intention to Defend
- Lesson 4: Personal Injury litigation, dealing with the Injuries Board, Medical Report (Form B) and Form A, Personal Injuries Summons, Affidavit of Verification, Defence and Counterclaim, Courts Service of Ireland, Instructing Counsel, Discovery of documents, Setting Action Down for Trial, Witness Letter, Formal Offer
- Be aware of the workings and structure of a Civil Litigation department
- Understand the jurisdiction of the different courts and the process followed in each when dealing with Civil matters
- Know the steps to take when dealing with Personal Injuries claims
- Have practical experience at drawing up the necessary legal documentation required when dealing with both Civil Litigation and Personal Injury matters through working with the true-to-life scenarios that are integral to this course
- This course can be completed as a stand-alone module but also represents one full module of Pitman Training’s widely recognised qualification, the Legal Secretarial Diploma
Further Legal Modules